Design a site like this with
Get started

Minimum Filing Requirements for US Federal Tax Return

Taxes for Expats

Do I Need to File a Tax Return?

Factors such as age, disability, filing status and income will determine whether or not the US federal government requires you to file a tax return. The charts below will assist you in determining this. However, not being required to file may not actually be a good reason not to. Later in this article we will discuss the reasons to file a tax return even when it is not required.

Minimum Income Requirements Based on Age and Status

There is not a set minimum income for filing a return. The amount varies according to both filing status and age. The minimum taxable income level for each group is listed in the following chart. If your income falls below what is listed for your age group and marital status, you are not required to file a return.

Age and Status Requirements for Dependents

Being claimed as a dependent on someone else’s taxes changes the rules a bit, and it does not rule out the possibility that you will still be required to file. If you are an adult, working dependent, it is very likely that you will be required to file your own return.

taxes for expats

Special Circumstances

Even if your income bracket is below the minimum listed for your age group and status, you usually must file a Federal Tax Return if you fall into any of the following “special circumstances” categories.

  • If your self-employment earnings totaled $400 or more
  • If you owe tax on a health savings account or a retirement plan
  • If you owe Alternative Minimum Tax
  • If you owe household employment taxes
  • If you earned $108.28 + from a tax-exempt church or church-controlled organization
  • If you received distributions from a Health Savings Account or an MSA
  • If you are required to repay a 2008 Homebuyer Credit (or other recapture tax)
  • If you owe Social Security/Medicare taxes on unreported income (tips)

Why You May Want to File Anyway

Not being required to file may be a bad reason not to do so, especially if you could use a little extra money following the holiday season. Refunds cannot be claimed without filing a return. Here are some reasons why a refund might be due to you:

  • If you qualify for the First-Time Homebuyer Credit
  • If you qualify for the Health Coverage Tax Credit
  • If you have overpaid estimated tax
  • If you qualify for a federal fuel tax credit
  • If taxes were withheld from your pay
  • If you qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit
  • If you qualify for the American Opportunity Credit
  • If you have children and qualify for the Child Tax Credit
  • If you adopted a child and qualify for the Adoption Tax Credit
  • If you can claim the Credit for Prior Year Minimum Tax

Visit Taxes for Expats for help filing your US tax return. Woman owned. Flat fee.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: